Monday, March 21, 2011

What a week!


Warning: This whole post might be a little TMI...

This has been quite a week for our little family. It all started last Sunday night when Peter and I were awaken at midnight by the sound of our little guy barfing. This was the first time Jacob has ever thrown up and as you can imagine poor guy didn't know what was going on. He was hanging over the side of the crib and there was vomit all over the carpet. So Peter and I took to cleaning him, changing the sheets, removing any puke soaked items (his lovey and stuffed animal) and trying to clean the carpet as best we could so the smell wouldn't linger. Just as we got Jake comforted and asleep and us in bed, he was up for round 2. So we began the clean up again and I think we finally got him back to sleep around 2 am or so. He did sleep until about 7 am so that was good but before he woke up Peter and I could smell the unpleasant smell from his bottom region. Little did I know what 'surprise' I would find...

Peter had already left for work that Monday morning so I went to get Jacob up what I found was a mess. There was a huge wet spot on his newly changed sheets and he was covered from neck to toes in (I'm just going to say it) POOP! So I took him, pajamas and all, to the bathroom and showered him off in the tub. We ended up taking the poor little guy to the doctor who just said it was some kind of stomach bug and to stick to bland foods. I stayed home from work to take care of my little guy who slept much of the day without anymore throwing up (but with lots of 'other end activity'). By the end of the night the poor Jake had a fever and still wasn't feeling too hot but he got a decent night's rest and was feeling a little bit better. We came to find out that Monday night my mom was super sick and was in the hospital because she was dehydrated. It looked like this little bug was spreading...

The rest of the week was filled with bland foods and upset stomachs. Those hit by the bug included my mom, my brother, my mother-in-law and finally me. Peter and I were supposed to go to Reno this last weekend to celebrate his birthday but because of all the sickness I decided to stay home and watch Jacob. Right before Peter left I started to feel queasy and lo and behold, a few hours after he was gone I was hit with it too. Luckily my mom was feeling a little better and came over to help out. My poor mom was going back and forth between my house and her house to take care of my brother. On top of that...there was a HUGE storm in the Sierras and it took Peter 12 hours to get to Reno. On the way back they were stuck and had to stay the night in South Lake Tahoe and extend their trip until today since they couldn't get back home yesterday. He is still on his way home and after a total of 24 hours in the car this weekend I'm sure he's ready to be in his own bed.

I finally think everyone is on the mend but it's been once crazy week! Thank heaven for my mom who took care of me and Jake even when she wasn't feeling so great!

No comments: